Family Law Seminar – January 15, 2015
Immigration Class – December 18, 2014
Hanover Law provides training to other practioners in criminal law, family law, immigration law, court practice, and brief writing. Below are several files related to our teaching programs. We would be delighted to discuss individual training programs and group classes. Hanover Law courses are accepted for CLE credit in Virginia, with carry over credit to most states.
Asylum/Immigration Court Videos Avaialble! Training videos for bond, asylum, experts, and direct examination of witnesses in immigration court are now available. A complete set (two videos) is $150. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to Order Videos and to get your copies today!
Immigration Seminar 2014
- Course Agenda for 18 December 2014 Outline of discussion points for the seminar.
- Report on Immgiration Consequences 28 Sep 2014.pdf This document outlines various arguments in determining categorical and divisible crimes for 42A/42B consideration.
- MONROY Asylum Brief 2014.pdf This is an example aylum brief focusing on gangs.
- MARTINEZ V. HOLDER Gang membership a social group 4th Circ.pdf 4th Circuit holding that forced membership in a gang is a social group.
- juarez-escobar – Obama’s action illegal.pdf December 16th holding in Federal Court that President Obama’s executive order is invalid.
- Guatemala 2013 Crime and Safety Report – ContentReportPDF.pdf Sample report for asylum purposes (reference material that carries weight with the Court).
- gangs.doc – GangFactSheet.pdf Sample report for asylum purposes (reference material that carries weight with the Court).
AILA IMMIGRATION COURSE 2015
- Aggravated Felony Cheat Sheet 2012.pdf The awesome guide to CIMT, aggravated felonies, and criminal impact on immigration processes (PDS service — we work with them extensively in DC).
- Aggravated Felony Cheat Sheet 2012 The holy grail of cases and considerations when filing and defending immigration removal clients.
- EOIR-Relief_from_Removal manual_chapter_3 Covers filing and timelines for immigration court motions and procedures.
- The Asylum Process Class notes — however, the handout below is the authorative guide.
- AILA Nevada Class Handout Comprehensive training guide on court procedures (including samples) for immigration tactis and strategies.
L1/International Business (Washington, DC December 2016)
- L1 Visas.pptx (power point) Power Point slides covering L1 procedures, and business formation in the US. These are from a presentation to the International Trade Counsel on 02 December 2016.
- Class outline Additional notes and pointer/guidelines on L1 approval process. Discussed at the International Trade Counsel presentation on 02 December 2016 in Washington, DC.
GENERAL INFORMATION 2016
- Policy memo – release of aliens from ICE detention.pdf ICE based priorities for detention and release of detained immigrants (i.e. release outside of Court bond or order).
- 209-C Guidelines and Tips.pdf Use this for adjusting folks on asylum (or refugee) status who have prior criminal records — I-602 information.
- Asylum Officer’s Guide to Approving Applications Useful for both credible fear and affirmative asylum petitions.
- Vincent Memo — covering use of U Visas in immigration proceedings Covers the procedure for how to terminate proceedings when a U Visa is in the works.
- Sample B2 questions for preparing a B2 visa package This is a popular topic on the AILA lists. This is a useful series of questions to help prepare a B2 package.
- Review of eligibility (chart) for DACA/DAPA applicants Cheat sheet extraordinaire! Helpful when speaking to clients on the phone. I believe this was originally an ILRC document.
- How to file I-751 Waiver (i.e. your spouse won’t go) . This handy guide comes from the Northwest Immigrant Rights Project at http://www.nwirp.org.
- Judges Guide to Cancellation of Removal Bench book, in Word format for easy sorting and cut/paste.
Federal Garnishment Information (Collection Tactics 2016)
- Federal Garnishment Rules.pdf This is from the Commissioner of Child Support Enforcement (Federal). However, it applies to all collection actions under 5 CFR 581.104.
- Commissioner’s Guidance on Federal Garnishments This is from the Commissioner of Child Support Enforcement (Federal). It is a memo on guidance for all Federal garnishment actions.
FLSA Settlement Examples (2017)
- GENERIC settlement agreement FLSA.pdf Settlement agreement that contains all required components of an FLSA agreement per Dorian Cheeks v. Freeport Pancake House, Inc.. See 29 USC 201 et al.
- GENERIC Joint Motion FLSA.pdf After a settlement is signed, a Court must approve. This is the motion to accompany the memorandum below.
- GENERIC Joint Memorandum FLSA.pdf This memorandum explains the settlement to the Court, and expressly links attorney fees and a “bona fide” dispute to the settlement (required).
- GENERIC Order FLSA.pdf To be accepted, the motion must include a proposed order (see attached for exact wording), and a copy of the settlement agreement.